Appleton Continuing Care Program at McLean Hospital
Address: 115 Mill Street, Belmont, MA, 02478
Phone: 617-855-3756 or 1-800-333-0338, Fax: 617-855-2940
Contact: Sharon Berman, LICSW
The Goal of Treatment
To improve the lives of each resident by helping them learn to accept, understand and manage their illness to live as independently as their condition allows.
Residents arrive with different skills and capabilities that influence the rate in which they progress through treatment.
- Initial stabilization of a residents’ illness while building an alliance between the resident and the treatment team.
- Introduction of daily resident routines in order to establish and follow a treatment plan.
- Psycho-education and social interaction to learn more about their symptoms in order to actively participate in their treatment plan.
- Educational and vocational guidance as an essential component to transitioning each resident toward increased independence.
- Community reintegration where a resident may move to a supported apartment situation, a community-based residence or return to live with their family.
Advantages of Appleton Continuing Care Program
- Ability to attend on-campus self-help meetings.
- Access to a newly refurbished fitness center.
- Use of the Jonathan O. Cole Mental Health consumer Resource Center to learn about psychiatric disorders.
- Adult education and college level classes available at nearby academic institutions
- Access to McLean Hospital’s Waverley Place, a community-based program offering comprehensive, coordinated care and support for adults with chronic psychiatric illness.
- Recreational excursions including theater, museums and parks are an important part of the program.
Highly Trained Staff
The Appleton Program is staffed 24 hours a day by Community Residence Counselors . Residents have access to Harvard-affiliated physicians and psychologists who provide assessment, consultation, testing and psychotherapy. Case management is provided by licensed independent social workers.
The program provides comprehensive individualized treatment focusing on stabilization and improvement in functioning.
Length of Stay
McLean Hospital has long been a leader in the provision of psychiatric residential treatment. Decisions relating to treatment are made collaboratively by the resident with his/her treatment team and when appropriate, his or her family. For most residents, the stay at Appleton will range from two to four months or longer. Residents live in a home-like setting in a renovated historic building.